Information on Safeguarding

What is meant by abuse?

 Abuse is the violation of an individual’s human and civil rights by someone else. Abuse might be unintentional, the important factor is whether the vulnerable person is harmed or not. Abuse can be:

Physical abuse - any form of assault, over-medication, restraint or poor manual handling practice.

Sexual abuse - rape or any sexual act which was not actively consented to or the person did not have the capacity to understand.

Psychological / emotional abuse - threats, intimidation, coercion, harassment.

Financial abuse - theft, borrowing money without repayment and any pressure in connection with wills or property, possessions or benefits.

Neglect - ignoring medical or physical needs, not providing access to appropriate care, the withholding of the necessities of life, such as medication, adequate food, water and heating.

Discriminatory abuse - all forms of harassment, slurs or similar treatment based on a person’s disability, ethnic origin, gender or sexuality. This is often called hate crime.

Institutional abuse - repeated instances of poor care, ill treatment of vulnerable adults, and unsatisfactory professional practice. This is often an indicator of more serious problems.

If you are worried about any aspects of abuse you can share your concerns with a doctor or nurse who can provide you with support and advice in confidence.

Alternatively, this leaflet provides information about the agencies that can listen and act on reports of abuse directly.


If you have reason to believe that a child or young person is at immediate risk from harm contact the Police on 999.

If you have any concerns about a particular child or young person and feel that they may be in need of protection or safeguarding, then please contact the Family Front Door on 01905 822666 from Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm.

For assistance out of office hours (5:00pm to 8:30 am weekdays and all day at weekends and bank holidays) please contact the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on 01905 768020.

vulnerable Adults –

What should I do if I suspect abuse?

Adult safeguarding is about protecting people aged over 18 years from abuse by others.

Abuse can be something that is done to a person or something that is omitted from being done. It is a violation of an individual’s rights and can happen anywhere, including in someone’s home, a residential home, a nursing home, a day centre or hospital.  It can happen once or repeatedly.

If you have concerns that you, or someone that you know, is being abused or neglected you should report it as soon as possible.

If you believe a crime has been committed call the police on 999.

If you need an urgent response from Adult Social Care please call 01905 768053

Do not assume that somebody else will do it, the information you have might save somebody from suffering abuse or neglect



Worcestershire’s 24 hour Domestic Abuse Helpline 0800 980 3331

For male victims of domestic violence support can be provided by Men's Aid. They can be contacted on 01334 474348 or by e-mail Men's Aid is run by volunteers and is open Monday to Friday 10am-3pm.

Additional information

Worcestershire County Council Safeguarding Adults

Worcestershire County Council Safeguarding Children


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website